Nazi doctors, Mauthausen and Gusen; others

NEW: more names:
Paul Ehle
Dr Johannes Otto:
dr Otto Heidl
3rd stutthoff trial: A defendant, the SS Oberscharführer Hans Tolksdorf, was acquitted.

Before the Landgericht Hamburg, 1950 was negotiated two defendants because of the mistreatment and killing of prisoners. After the revision before the Federal Supreme Court in 1951, a defendant received a two-year prison sentence, the other was acquitted.[name?]
Against Paul Werner Hoppe, Karl Otto Knott, who oversaw the gassings in Stutthof, the former camp commander, , was heard by the Landgericht Bochum mid-1950s. The subject of the procedure included the gassing of hundreds of Jewish prisoners and killings by shooting and petrol injection. Knott was sentenced to three years and three months in prison. Hoppe, after he had gone before the Supreme Court in 1956 in revision nine years prison sentence instead of the initially imposed prison sentence of five years and three months now received.
Before the Landgericht Tübingen, 1964 was negotiated against Otto Haupt, Karl Otto Knott and Bernhard Luedtke. The subject of the procedure included the killing of prisoners by abuse, poison injections and shooting, as well as the mass killing of hundreds of Jewish prisoners by firing squad and gasification – in addition, the Lebendverbrennung of a Soviet Majorin in the incinerator of Crematorium. The Landgericht Tübingen condemned Haupt on 22 December 1964 to 12 years and Lüdtke to six years in prison. Karl Otto Knott who had poured the zyklon B into the gas chamber  was found not guilty in a trial in 1964 in Tubingen, Germany.


Relatively few in the Nazi command structure would pay for their crimes. John J.  McCloy, U.S. High Commissioner for Germany, Rhodes reminds us, reduced 10 of 14  death sentences in U.S. war-crimes trials, and by 1958 all surviving  Einsatzgruppen defendants had been freed. German courts were also lenient. “Masters of Death: The SS-Einsatzgruppen and the Invention of the Holocaust” by  Richard Rhodes
According to the autobiographical ROMs by Balys Sruoga, hundreds of prisoners in the hospitals with poison injections were murdered. The responsible doctors and nurses were never held to account in Germany.[although some were hanged in Poland] about Stutthoff,
PPE, adjutant Meyer, the administrative leader of SS-Hauptsturmführer Engelbrecht von Bonin and a part of the staff formed the core of the Wöbbelin concentration camp after the dissolution of the concentration camp of Stutthof.
Kuno Popp (born October 25, 1893, Coburg – 4 March 1973 in London) was a German politician (NSDAP).
On 1 July 1937, Popp in the succession procedures entered for the departing Artur Kauffmann as a member of the Nazi Reichstag which he participated until the end of the NAZI rule in the spring of 1945, as a representative of the constituency of 6 (Pomerania).
Popp last lived in Munich. After his death in London, he was buried in Coburg.
Kurt Eimann (born July 28, 1899, Görlitz) was a German member of the SS with the rank of an SS – Obersturmbannführer, convicted in 1968 for community murder as a war criminal. *Stutthoff
Heinz Roethke (* 19 January 1912 in Mürow , † 14 July 1966 in Wolfsburg ) was a SS-Obersturmführer together with Theodor Dannecker one of the most responsible for the deportation of Jews from France , which took place in the years 1940 to 1944.

spring of 1942 as deputy director under Theodor Dannecker, and in July 1942 as head of the so-called Jewish Referates when finally Gestapo was active in France. His active role in the deportations to the extermination camp Auschwitz is also far from his letter of 5 November 1942 , the Reich Security Main Office produced:

„”On 5/11/1942, Paris 1100 Greek Jews were arrested. Consequently, it is necessary that even a fourth transport on Wednesday, going on the 11.11.1942 to Auschwitz “. [1]

Roethke lived after the war in Wolfsburg, where he worked as a legal adviser unmolested. From October 1961 he received a monthly pension from the state of Bavaria . Roethke died in July 1966 in Wolfsburg. According to Serge Klarsfeld, since 1945, he was sentenced to death in absentia in France.

see below:
January 1944 French Abbe Joseph Catry, a pro-Nazi propagandist, asked  SS-Obersturmfuehrer Heinz Roethke, the German Judenreferent in France, to give  him information to disprove the rumors that the Jews of Europe were being  systematically executed by the Nazis. According to Catry: “There is a real  effort to hide something very grave, but without success, because the subterfuge  is very clumsy.” (Marrus/Paxton 349)
on Majdanek. BBC didn’t believe the Soviet Reports.
IG Farben director Otto Ambros wrote that “our new friendship with the SS is very fruitful.”
SS-Hauptsturmführer Rudolf Eagles. aide, Monowitz, no info.
Maximilian Faust, the engineer in charge of construction, repeatedly stated in these reports that the only way to keep prisoner labor productivity at a satisfactory level was through the use of violence and corporal punishment. While declaring his own opposition to “flogging and mistreating prisoners to death,” Faust nevertheless added that “achieving the appropriate productivity is out of the question without the stick.”
Friedrich Warzok (* 21 September 1903 in Rogowa [1] ; † unknown) was a German war criminal and SS leader.

SS- und Polizeiführers im Distrikt Galizien . In October 1941 he transferred to the staff of the SS and Police Leader in the District of Galicia . Danach war er als Leiter mehrerer Zwangsarbeiterlager im Raum Zloczow eingesetzt. [1] He then served as director of several forced labor camps in the area Zloczow used. [1]. [1] He was as successor to Gustav Will house from July 1943 bearing head of Lviv Janowska labor camp . [3] [4] In March 1945 he was in the Neuengamme concentration used. [1] Warzok fled to the end of the Third Reich through a Roman Catholic priest of the rat line first after Cairo . [5] Presumed dead.

Fritz or Gotthard Fritz Gebauer SS  Hauptsturmfuhrer Chief of the Deutschen Austrustungswerke (DAW) in Lemberg  from June 1941 to May 1944. Tried by a W German Court in Saarbrucken ;  1970 – 71 Sentenced to life imprisonment ; June 29th 1971 Died in 1979


The testimony of Dr. Peters is highly important on the issue of the defendants’ guilty knowledge. He related the details of a conference that he had in the summer of 1943 with one Kurt Gerstein, introduced by Professor Mrugowsky, director of  the health institute of the notorious Waffen SS. After swearing Dr. Peters to  absolute secrecy under penalty of death, Gerstein revealed the Nazi  extermination program which he said emanated from Hitler through Himmler. There  followed a long conference concerning the efficacy of different methods of  extermination, including the use of Cyclon-B for that purpose. Dr. Peters stated  emphatically that he was thereafter extremely careful to observe the admonition  to treat this conference as Top Secret, and he negatived the assumption that any  of the defendants had any knowledge whatever that an improper use was being made  of Cyclon-B. We are of the opinion that the evidence falls short of establishing  the guilt of any of the defendants on this aspect of count three.
When did they know?
the Auschwitz Protocols:
Arnost Rosin
Czesław Mordowicz (the Rosin-Mordowicz report),
Jerzy Tabeau
Dr Oscar Krasniansky, German speaker
Josef Weiss
Mario Martilotti , Priest
Gisela Steiner, typist
The Auschwitz Reports and the Holocaust in Hungary (2011), edited by Randolph L. Braham and William vanden Heuvel, and published by Columbia University Press.
When did the Allies know about the Holocaust:
August 8, 1942 In Geneva, Gerhart Riegner cabled Rabbi Stephen S. Wise  in New York and Sidney Silverman in London about Nazi plans to exterminate the  Jews of Europe. The United States Department of State held up delivery of the  message to Wise, who finally received it from Silverman on August 28.
Cable sent on August 8, 1942,  by Dr. Gerhart Riegner, the representative of the World Jewish Congress (WJC) in  Geneva, to Stephen S. Wise in the United States and Sidney Silverman, member of  Parliament, in Britain. The cable read as follows:
“Received alarming  report that in Fuhrer’s headquarters plan discussed and under consideration  according to which all Jews in countries occupied or controlled Germany  numbering 34 million should after deportation and concentration in east be  exterminated at one blow to resolve once and for all the Jewish question in  Europe. Action reported planned for autumn; methods under discussion including  prussic acid. We transmit information with all necessary reservation as  exactitude cannot be confirmed. Informant stated to have close connections with  highest German authorities and his reports generally speaking reliable.”
[The SS officer may have been Kurt Gerstein?] Contains important info on ‘special treatment,’ the Nazis’ euphemism.
SS Heinz Truehe, listed as a member of the einsatzcommando
SS-Scharführer Heindl, first name missing.
  • Bruno Peter Kleist ( died November 6, 1971) was a prominent political writer and diplomat. His interest was mainly the Ostpolitik. In der Zeit des Nationalsozialismus, Kleist worked in a leading position in the Reich Ministry for the occupied eastern territories


Wilhelm Friedrich Keilhaus (born December 11, 1898 in Hohenstein-Ernstthal; died January 11, 1977) was a German police and SS officer, last SS-Brigadeführer and Generalmajor of the Waffen-SS.
In July 1943, Keil House was appointed inspector for the Intelligence in the Office of the Chief of the SS leadership. From 1944 to 1945 he was chief of telecommunications for the Ministry of Himmler.
After the war, Keilhaus fell into British captivity. After staying in various POW camps, including camps in Iceland Farm Special Camp 11, he was on 23 Released October 1947 in the Neuengamme Zivilinternierungslager about 1948 and from there went free. Afterwards Keilhaus operated in West Germany as a consultant for telecommunications.
SS Helferinnen or SS Helpers, are not the same as
SS Aufseherrinen, Female guardians in the camps, under the auspices of the SS.
DESCRIPTION:the Women’s Auxiliary of the SS. Female auxiliaries in  the Waffen-SS were divided into two categories: SS Auxiliaries (SS-Helferinnen):  Those female signal personnel trained at the SS school located at  Oberenheim/Alsace (Reichsschule für SS-Helferinnen Oberenheim.) and SS War  Auxiliaries (SS-Kriegshelferinnen): All other auxiliary female personnel  employed by the SS permanently or temporarily. The SS auxiliary was made up of  females normally between 17 and 30 years of age. They were employed as  telephonists, teleprinter operators, and radio operators. Selected female  personnel were promoted to NCO or officer ranks after successfully passing  special training courses.
The Chef der Fernmelderwesens (Head of  the Communications System) is exclusively responsible for SS-Helferinnen

Anton Malloth (February 13, 1912, Innsbruck, Austria – October 31, 2002, Straubing, Germany) was a supervisor in the “Kleine Festung” (Small Fortress) part of the Theresienstadt concentration camp.

From June 1940 to May 1945, Malloth worked as a supervisor in the Gestapo prison “Kleine Festung Theresienstadt”, which was part of the larger Theresienstadt concentration camp. His nickname was “der schöne Toni” (The handsom Toni). He was convicted of beating at least 100 prisoners to death and sentenced to life imprisonment in 2001, after escaping justice for 55 years.

Malloth grew up in the town of Schenna, near Merano, in the Italian province of South Tyrol. His foster-parents ran a small agricultural business and guest-house. He did an apprenticeship as a butcher and later became a lance corporal in the Italian army, where he opted to serve in Germany. In Innsbruck he received training as a “Schutzpolizei” (a uniformed branch of the 3rd Reich police force) and later volunteered for police service in Prague. For most of the Second World War, Malloth worked in Theresienstadt.

Life in Austria

After the end of war, Malloth went on the run for some time, living at his parents-in-laws’ home in Wörgl, Tyrol. In early 1948, Malloth was arrested by the Austrian police. In the interrogation in front of a judge in Innsbruck, he played down his role in the Gestapo prison and denied having been involved with torture and murder.

An application for extradition by the Czechoslovakian government was ignored by the Austrian justice department. Malloth was tried in absentia in September 1948 in Czechoslovakia for war crimes in Theresienstadt, but by then Malloth had already been released by the Austrian court. After numerous witness testimonials, the Czechoslovakian court in Litoměřice ruled that there was no doubt that Malloth had beaten to death about 100 detainees. The verdict was reversed in 1969, but the application for extradition was still pending.

From 1948 to 1988 Malloth lived undisturbed in Meran. In 1952 he became an Italian citizen. When his Italian citizenship was stripped, he became a German citizen in 1957.

In spite of several applications for extradition by Germany and Austria, the German consulate in Milan issued him new passports as the previous ones expired. When he was expelled to Germany in 1988, the public prosecution department of Dortmund denied any extradition to Austria or Czechoslovakia. As there were no preliminary proceedings against Malloth, he was freed.

Life in Germany

From 1988 to 2000, Malloth lived in Pullach near Munich. Gudrun Burwitz, the daughter of Heinrich Himmler, was instructed by the “Stille Hilfe” to rent a comfortable room for him in a home for the aged, which was built on a lot formerly owned by Rudolf Hess.

When it became public in the late nineties that the social welfare office had paid most of the expenses of Malloth’s room, there was much criticism in the German media. The involvement of Himmler’s daughter Gudrun Burwitz was also criticized.

Arrest and trial

Malloth was taken into custody on May 25, 2000 and charged by the public prosecution department in Munich. The trial started on April 23, 2001 in the prison in MunichStadelheim. On May 30, 2001 Malloth was convicted by the district court of Munich for murder and attempted murder and sentenced to life imprisonment.

Ten days before his death, cancer-suffering Malloth was declared unfit for prison and released.

d. 2001


Theresienstadt , Czechoslovakia:
The camp Theresienstadt also made use of local Czech Gendarmerie guards who collaborated with the Germans in the enslavement, deportation and murder of Jews.During World War II it served as a Nazi concentration camp staffed in equal numbers by German Nazi guards and their ethnic Czech collaborators.
Prof. Gius, of Mühldorf , is listed.
Dr Kaminski, KZ Gusen.
Dr Weil, Radiologe, KZ Theresienstadt
Dr Horn, Prof. für Chirurgie, KZ Buchenwald, first name?
Franz Peter Frank, Krankenpfleger, KZ Buchenwald, Assistent von Prof. Dr. Horn
Georg Hensel
Dr. med.  Habil, Pulmologe, 1939, chief physician children sanatorium Mittelberg, conducted there deadly TB tests on disabled children. 1946 Acquittal, 1960 new procedure set
Schellander, nurse
trans from German:
the Klagenfurt “Gau curative and Grafeneck for the mentally ill” and “Gau infirm House” euthanasia in a big way was operated from 1939. First, active euthanasia on dying and Schwerstkranken was made in 1939 in the “Gau infirm House”. From 1940 to 1941, the delivery of about 750 patients and patients at the NS-Tötungsanstalt Hartheim was carried out in four transports; among them were children. Between 1942 and 1945 sick murders in the Gau Hospital (so-called ‘ wild euthanasia’) held regularly.
The chief dr of Psychiatry, Franz Niedermoser, had patients in the areas of Psychiatry in the first period killed with injections. Because these deaths among the remaining patients and patients resulted in noticeable concern, the Primararzt proceeded first individual cases, to transfer later entire groups at the back of the “Siechenhauses” located at the outermost edge of the hospital grounds. There in the “back” the sick could be killed much less. In addition, the Primararzt in the infirm House head found head nurse Antonie Pachner and the Chief Nurse Ottilie Schellander particularly willing employees. She stated before the judicial police 1945: “when I am asked how many kills I a total […]” have done so I declare that I say so am not in the position. “There were many killings.” After insistent questioning by the police, risked the serial killer, but an estimate and suggested the number of psychiatric and even geriatric patients murdered at the “back” “in the years 1941 to 1945 on average three to four Pfleglinge” a week of tieing in the Sickhouse.
Judicial injustice after 1945
Schellander deliberately killed at least 200 patients and patients after the Court’s decision imposed upon them between 1942 and April 1945. The number of killed patients should have been even higher.[3]
Other patients have such were beaten by her that it was her death. In the autumn of 1944, she has deliberately killed, for example, a patient still alive was placed at the back of the body Chamber, by a morphine injection. In other cases, she had carried out killings by administering poison (sleeping Somnifen) or other nurses charged with the killing of patients.[4]
The criminal proceedings against Schellander took place from March 20 to April 3 1946 in Klagenfurt before Senate outside of Court of Graz. On April 4, 1946, the death sentence with assets decline was pronounced against them. This was however transformed on 19 October 1946 resolution of the Federal President in the punishment of heavy Dungeon of twenty years. In the framework of a renewed pardon, Schellander was conditionally released from prison on April 1, 1955.[5] Then lost  trail.[6]
SS & Civilian Doctors Mauthausen & Gusen
Dr. med. Ladislaus Conrad born August 28, 1913 Siegendorf, living in Vienna physician in Mauthausen at least late 1941/early 1942 (Mauthausen book says  October 41 to March 42) he is said to have refused killing inmates KIA  Feb. 17, 1944
SS Obersturmführer Dr Karl  Abraham (Fate Unknown) SS Hauptsturmführer Dr Karl – Gustav Böhmichen (d. 1964) SS Hauptsturmführer Dr Josef Friedl (Fate Unknown) SS Untersturmführer Dr Erwin Herschel (Fate  Unknown)
SS Hauptsturmführer Dr Richard  Krieger (Fate Unknown)
SS  Hauptsturmführer Dr Benno Adolph
(born March 17, 1912 in Winkl; d. December 20, 1967 in Iserlohn) was a German physician and camp physician in the concentration camps of Auschwitz, Nordhausen, Buchenwald, Bergen-Belsen and Neuengamme.

Adolph was from April 1, 1933 to August 1, 1938 member of the SA since April 1, 1935, and also a member of the NSDAP (membership number 4.411.361). in 1938, he joined the SS in (No. 340.774). From 1938 to 1939, he served as a medic in the Sanitätsabteilung of the SS-Verfügungstruppe. On August 25, 1939, he was promoted to the Untersturmführer on September 1, 1940 to the Obersturmführer, and on June 21, 1942, to the captain. From May 27 to July 24, 1941, he belonged to a division of the Waffen-SS.
Doctor in concentration and extermination camps On September 20, 1942, Adolph was III of the SS economic and administrative main office transferred to the AMT of D and used as a camp physician at Auschwitz concentration camp. Here, he was senior camp physician of the so-called “gypsy camp” Auschwitz from March 1943 for a short time. That he in April 1943 at Scarlet fell ill and was unable to work until November 1943, considered to cause of the displacement of Josef Mengeles to Auschwitz, who took over Adolphs function there.[1]Adolph served subsequently in other concentration camps, until he on 24 June 1944 in the SS-Hauptamt transferred and allocated on January 1, 1945, the headquarters of the Supreme command of the Wehrmacht in the Slovakia was.
After the end of World War II [Adolph became a Russian prisoner, but it was dismissed because former prisoners for him had testified. Then he was by the Americans interned, but in turn relieved by former inmates. The German political prisoner Mathias Mai, who had been district Kapo in the Neuengamme concentration camp, described him as a “decent guy”. The former nurse in the infirmary of Pierre Schneider recalled that Adolph asked them upon his arrival, where you do to help. Have they ever seen not as prisoners he requested more prisoner doctors for the district.[2]Adolph moved in 1953 in the GDR and worked since 1958 at various clinics in Germany. He was not brought to trial.[3]
SS Hauptsturmführer Dr Siegbert Ramsauer
Ramsauer, a physician, was a member of the NSDAP (membership. 6.103.648) and the SS (membership. 301.007). He began his SS career in the Dachau concentration camp, where he was considered a formidable operator. In December 1941 he came into the KZ Mauthausen and whose twin camp Gusen, whereupon he Neuengamme was appointed in the summer of 1942 the SS doctor in the concentration camp. In August 1943 he was SS doctor in the two camps of the concentration camp Loibl on the Loiblpass where he killed has been shown several people by gasoline injection. He selected hundreds more handicapped forced laborers to return to the main camp of Mauthausen. in 1944, he reached the military rank of Hauptsturmführers in the SS.
After the dissolution of the camp on May 7, 1945, he attempted to escape, was however detected near Ferlach (Carinthia) and captured by partisans. He managed to escape, he stood but after a call to the Englishman. At his trial before a British military court in Klagenfurt, Sigbert Ramsauer was sentenced on October 10, 1947 to life imprisonment. On April 1, 1954, he was pardoned and released early from illness.
Then, he got a job at the County Hospital of Klagenfurt, where he could ascend to the head of the physician. Starting in 1956, he ran a private practice at the Klagenfurt Cathedral square in addition until old age.
Sigbert Ramsauer died in 1991 in Klagenfurt. Shortly before he gave an interview in which he has replied to the question whether he would have hated the prisoners, for the television film of the tunnel: “I had no reason, also no reason to hate someone.” “But I felt – na we say it times – these people as inferior.” His obituary headlined with the phrase “Every hour of life is struggle.” d. 1991.
SS  Obersturmführer Dr Arthur Rögel (Fate Unknown)
Camp physician Hermann Richter surgically removed significant organs–e.g., stomach, liver, or kidneys–from living prisoners solely in order to determine how long a prisoner could survive without the organ in question. fate unkn.
Dr Hermann Kiesewetter, no info.


Karl Kaufmann (October 10, 1900 in Krefeld[1] — December 4, 1969 in Hamburg) was a Nazi Gauleiter in Hamburg—head of the Nazi Party, and government of Hamburg from 1933 until 1945.Arrested several times, but never prosecuted. He ordered the destruction of the prisoners on Cap Arcona, sunk by the RAF in error at the close of the war.

  • German trawlers sent to rescue Cap Arcona’s crew members and guards managed to save 16 sailors, 400 SS men, and 20 SS women. Most of the prisoners who tried to board the trawlers were beaten back, while those who reached the shore were shot down. The prisoners who managed to swim ashore were mainly gunned down by the SS. Only 350 of the 4,500 former concentration camp inmates who had been aboard the Cap Arcona survive. 420 SS pigs survived.

  • Neuengamme concentration camp. Indicates that many guards were never prosecuted.

  • Alderney, UK

    After World War II, a court-martial case was prepared against ex-SS Hauptsturmführer Max List, citing atrocities on Alderney. However, he did not stand trial, and is believed to have lived near Hamburg until his death in the 1980s.

Nazi gas chamber specialist Hering served as an assistant supervisor (as did
Fritz Tauscher) to a police officer by the name of Schemel.
Tauscher, Fritz (?-1965) [Polizeioberleutnant]
Tauscher, suicide?
 Udo Klausa (* 9 October 1910 in Olsztyn , † 23 July 1998 in King Winter Ittenbach ) was Nazi District Administrator of Bendsburg in occupied Poland, and in 1954 the first national director of the Regional Association of the Rhineland.The book by Mary Fulbrook is about Udo Klausa, the man who was in charge of deporting the Jews from Bedzin and another small town nearby.  This quote is from the description of the book:

But the book is much more than a portrayal of an individual man. Udo Klausa’s case is so important because it is in many ways so typical. Behind Klausa’s story is the larger story of how countless local functionaries across the Third Reich facilitated the murderous plans of a relatively small number among the Nazi elite – and of how those plans could never have been realized, on the same scale, without the diligent cooperation of these generally very ordinary administrators. As Fulbrook shows, men like Klausa ‘knew’ and yet mostly suppressed this knowledge, performing their day jobs without apparent recognition of their own role in the system, or any sense of personal wrongdoing or remorse – either before or after 1945.

This account is no ordinary historical reconstruction. For Fulbrook did not discover Udo Klausa amongst the archives. She has known the Klausa family all her life. She had no inkling of her subject’s true role in the Third Reich until a few years ago, a discovery that led directly to this inescapably personal professional history.


2 Responses to “Nazi doctors, Mauthausen and Gusen; others”

  1. IKL: Inspector of Concentration Camps « Paolosilv's Blog Says:

    […] names: Hermann Pook (* 1 May1901 in Berlin , † 1983[1] ) was a German SS-Obersturmbannführer (1942) […]

  2. Geld Says:


    […]Nazi doctors, Mauthausen and Gusen; others « Paolosilv's Blog[…]…

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: